Thursday 4 July 2013

Belgium Championships

Having been back from Turkey for a whole 10 days I decided it was time to pop abroad again for another race! I went with a group of friends to celebrate Malc's 80th birthday! How many people can say they enter a triathlon to celebrate the birthday of an ancient relic like Malc? I won't write too much about the people I went with as hopefully you can read more about that elsewhere in a few weeks to come but let me just say this......they are crazy! (But at the same time the nicest, friendliest, funniest bunch of people you could ever meet!)

The group in Belgium - with the legend that is Malc Bennett

I had opted to do the sprint race as that's what I've been focussing on this year after dabbling with various distances last year.  With a nice sociable start time of 1pm (or was it 12pm), I could have a lie in, a couple of bowls of coco pops and a leisurely ride down to the start.  The race itself was the most confusing race I have ever done. I'm not normally one for a hundred questions about a race or one to analyse course details but this was complicated! T2 was 10 miles away from T1! There were shuttle buses to get you from place to place. Roads were closed but nobody seemed to know where the route went.  Every question to a marshal received an answer of "hmmm, that is a good question" and on the morning of the race Michelle and I ended up cycling for over an hour trying to find the lake, even the marshal on the motorbike who we asked for directions said "I am searching for it also!" That said it was a fantastic venue, lovely weather and a very exciting event to be a part of with prize money up for grabs and the status of being Belgium National Champion.

The crowd gather to watch along the water's edge

So here's how my race went....

Get in the swim. Talk to my team mate Michelle. Not nervous. Very odd. Quite excited. About to go. Called out the swim. What?! Swim is delayed by 15 minutes! Booo! Potter about in the shade. Need the loo. Start poking the hole in the side of my wetsuit. Eaten too many pies? Think of random things. 15 minutes have gone! Back in the water. Swim 50m out to the starting buoys. Tired already! Michelle is yapping to me. Canoes hold us on the start line. The gun goes off. Michelle is still yapping. Everyone starts swimming. I can't swim as Michelle is in front of me. She is still yapping! Has she not heard the gun? Go go go! She goes! Thank God for that! Immediately lose the front pack. Damn it. Keep going. Completely on my own. Can't swim in a straight line. Feeling tired (repeated theme here from previous blog posts). Must learn to swim more efficiently. Lead pack pull away. Think of Dory from Finding Nemo....."just keep swimming". This is a very lonely swim.

Out of the swim on my lonesome

Eventually out (the swim was definitely long). My name is announced on the speaker. How exciting! He says it again! Woop that's me! I'm 45 seconds down on the lead pack. Seem to have a slow transition. Wetsuit won't come off. Start faffing. Funny Belgium rule about putting wetsuit in a bin bag in T1. I don' really have time to do this! But in goes the wetsuit, out comes the bike and off I go.

Out of T1

Lovely cycle route. Loads of spectators. Lots of cheers. Feel the bees knees in my new trisuit (thanks sponsors) although I look like a walking billboard. Although I'm not walking at this point, still cycling hard trying to catch the lead group. Where are they? It's taking me a long time! Do not feel strong on my road bike. I miss the Cervelo! Start to feel sad that everyone else is working together and I'm not drafting in a drafting race. Oooh wait, there they are! Pedal, pedal! Caught up! Yipee! Chat to Michelle, she is not even tired. Legendary swimmer! A lead girl has broken away. We start to work to catch her. I say work, I was a bit lazy. Decision time. Do I time trial away and close the gap, or stay where I am and battle it out for second? 6 races in 2 months have taken my competitive edge. I have no indication of how far behind I am so opt for a safer bet and stay put. Have a lovely time cycling with Michelle. She came up next to me and chatted a few times only to be told to "get back on my wheel & save your energy"!! We have no idea where we are going on the route. It's hard to follow, we started shouting directions to each other. We know we are near the end of the cycle but no idea where to turn off. Start shouting to the crowd. Right? Left? Dismount line? Here? There? Oh no, over there....

At last, a good dismount!


I spot the dismount line and hop off. First place is out of reach so it's a run for second. Legs feel tight as not used to riding the road bike. Put in a bit of a spurt out of T2 to get a comfortable lead. I'm sure I can still hear Michelle talking! Settle into a relaxed rhythm. Really enjoy the run. 2 laps around the park. Lots of cheers. The sun is shining. Felt very relaxed and enjoyed the atmosphere. Crossed the line full of smiles in second place. Somehow managed to post the fastest run split of the day. Michelle had a storming run to come in 3rd and looked great done the finishing shoot.  Looked at the results and instantly thought I should have attacked for first but you live and learn. After such big races this one was a real nice change with no pressure and no expectations. We had still podiumed, the Brits had come to Belgium and conquered!

Finish line!
The prize presentation was fantastic (a glass trophy, bouquet of flowers and $75.00!!) In fact the whole of the rest of the day was awesome! We set up base in a big grass square in the centre of the park surrounded by drinks bars, stalls, hot dog vans, a band, a big stage etc etc! The Olympic distance event was off once we finished so we could watch and enjoy that and cheer on all our friends competing. I was so proud of each and every one of them, particularly Pam who competed her first ever Olympic Triathlon (racing against girls who competed in London Olympics 2012!!!) Unfortunately due to the error in the delayed start Malc was not allowed to finish the race as the roads could not continue to be closed. That was such a shame but I think he thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and the company. I think the highlight of his weekend was his own lovely presentation in which he received a trophy for his services to triathlon.  That was my highlight too, that along with Michelle winning a bike in the raffle!!!! Who wins a bike in a raffle!?! And how are we going to get it back to England!!! Fun times! Thanks so much to Boss & Boss' boss for organising and to everyone else for making it a great trip!

Michelle and I - podium finishers :-)
As much as I enjoy drafting races though they are not for me. I am too slow at the swim and don't think that it utilities my strength on the bike, in fact I don't think the fastest triathlete overall wins drafting races, but you have to be smart and make good decisions and I think that's why it makes it so exciting. That said I have another drafting race next weekend......Liverpool Elite! It is highly likely I will come last and I have often wondered why I am even doing it. But when I started as an age grouper I was last and I have worked my way up so there's no reason why I can't do it again.   I've worked really hard to even get a start so I may as well work hard to finish.....and like I always say, God loves a trier!

Thank you Malc - The True Legend of Triathlon

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed reading your blog! Will is racing at the Liverpool champs hoping to get that Q spot for London. I won't be as i have to work. Having a bit of down time as well- tiredness of racing most of June! :) Keep training smart and I am sure that next weekend you will be AWESOME

    ReplyDelete