Thursday 6 February 2014

Watford Half

The first weekend of Feb arrived
Which meant my first trot of the year
So off we went to Watford Half
With my Mum in tow to cheer.

Preparation for this had been dire
As I'd developed a dodgy hip
So my run mileage and training
Had taken a massive dip.

The goal originally was sub 1:30
Which I still think I can do
But with set backs thrown into the mix
I had to settle for something new.



The best I could do for training
Was ditch my trainers for the bike and pool
Chris told me if I did the half marathon
I would be a real fool.

Time and effort was invested into physio
And I was just keeping everything crossed
That I could at least make the start line
And all would not be lost!

So the new plan was to run 5k
Or 5 miles at a stretch
And when the hip pain came I would stop
And chill out on a bench.

I would sit and watch the others
Have a mars bar and a beer
Then I'd stroll back to the finish
It was a really great idea!

So off I set at a speedy pace
I heard people cheer my name
The first mile markers quickly passed
But the hip pain never came?

Yet another great action shot taken by my Mum!
So I just kept running to see if it did
Trying to enjoy the day
And around mile 8 it suddenly hit me
I'm going to have to run the whole way!


"Pleasantly undulating" the handbook said
More like "evil and vile"
My lack of running really showed….
…..my legs ached with every mile!

Course profile!!!


But I trotted round and made the finish
And felt a huge sense of relief
It's amazing what your body can do
With a bit of faith and belief!

I finished in 1 hour 36 in the end
The distance was a test!
And although originally I'd hoped for more
I knew I'd tried my best!




No comments:

Post a Comment