Sunday 16 March 2014

Oulton Park Duathlon

16th March 2014
Sprint Distance ~ ITU World Qualifier

We (Chris, Mum, Jacqui, Mark, Alister and I) travelled up to Chester on Saturday afternoon to stay with my friend Jess so that we didn't have quite as far to travel on race day. Now for those of you who think I'm ditzy....you probably haven't met Jess! She decided last min (and I mean last min) to register her intent to qualify for the GB Age Group Team. I then got a call from her on Friday afternoon asking "what the hell is the BTF?" and "Do I just make up a membership number?" After a few frantic phone calls she managed to get sorted. I then got a text off her on Saturday saying "Don't worry about a thing about staying here...it's all under control".

Jess & I
Famous last words!  Here is a picture of us the night before the race realising we didn't have a bed so carried it from one of Jess's houses to her other one (don't ask!). 

Carrying a bed by moonlight through the streets of Chester!

For breakfast the next morning we ate cereal out of mugs and when we sent the boys out for milk and butter the night before they returned with a couple of beers!!! It was all rather strange....but we wouldn't have it any other way!!
Enjoying the City Walls of Chester
One word to sum up duathlons = HARD!! I had won this event last year in 1:11:07 and wanted to have a little run out to go through the motions before I finally start some speed work. It was SO cold and SO incredibly windy which seems bizarre as once we got back to Sunny Stourport on Severn it was bikini weather! Anyway, the race went like this:

* First run "This hurts, I don't like this, I need to stop. Ooh there goes Jess. There goes Jacqui. There goes Chris. Wait for me!" Try and just run under 17 mins as that will equate to a 19 something 5k. Job done.

* T1 "Just have a little rest". My bike is racked next to Jess' but she is on it and has no time for a natter!

* Bike "Why am I cycling on the spot?!? This is ridiculous. I must have punctured. Should I get off and check?"

* T2. "I am never doing a duathlon ever again! EVER!"

* A huge cheer from Anna.....apparently I was coming third overall despite thinking I was about 300th!!! "Ooh that's nice". 

* Second run "This still hurts. Keep going". Wooosh there goes Charlotte Taylor. "Where the hell did she come from?" Super Speedy! 30 seconds to the finish line and another lady on my shoulder. No next gear for me. Woosh there she goes. Cross the line. About to tell everyone how much I hate duathlons and that.....ooh jelly babies and milkshakes, must get stuck in to eating...so easily distracted. 

Sam, Chris, Ali, Mark & Jac -
Our club was well represented 
So more to the point, my team mate Jacqui came THIRD OVERALL! She is a legend. If she ever gets round to updating her blog you'll be able to read it HERE (but don't hold your breath). My other half Chris (who trains 2 hours a fortnight) qualified in the 35-39 Age Group!  Super proud of him!  I finished 5th overall (2nd in Age Group) and have also qualified although I will need to learn to love duathlons before I commit to going! Alister & Mark also from our very small club are also in with a great shot. And Jess.....in her first ever event.....made it too, taking the final slot in our Age Group! Super chuffed and super proud of her!

Jac on the podium!
So....the positives? A great day out. My run is still surprisingly OK despite mostly steady/base training. Super to see so many familiar faces...Lydia, Sarah, Aaron, Craig, Mike, Ian, Ellie &bump....far too many to name, but it's the people that make the racing fun to be a part of! Fab to see Jacqui on the podium and great to have such great support from everyone.

Introducing Anna, Craig & Mum -
Just some of our supporters!
Things to work on? Well.....quite a few things. But this time last year I had pretty much peaked. In March? Yep! So careful training now means I have a great engine to build on and lots more to come.  

What's next? The European Duathlon Champs in Holland. So maybe my parting thought of "Never doing a duathlon ever again" will have to be put on hold....just for a little while longer!


No comments:

Post a Comment