Sunday 24 August 2014

National Club Relays

This event is always a great laugh! Never to be missed! And this was my fifth year of racing here. In the past I have raced for Rugby Triathlon Club, Linebreak, TRiKS and this year I was drafted in to complete the Speedy Chicks line up for Race Timing Events.  I was super excited to race alongside speedsters Claire Shea-Simonds, Emily McLoughlin and Eli Thorogood.

Race Timing Events #Selfie
I was off on first leg which I've done every year (and love!)  The swim was a case of survival. I seemed to be giving a rather large bloke a piggy back the whole way round, making it almost impossible to kick. The final straight back in and I got in some clear water which I enjoyed.  I have no idea where I came out of the water but I was pleased to hand the baton (or rather the band!) back over to Claire before I went off to get ready for the bike - because Claire, Emily & Eli swim so quick I knew I didn't have any time for faffing!

The girls had done a great job and Eli, our last swimmer, handed over to me in 2nd place overall. Wow! I have never been this high up at this event before! I set off on the bike in pursuit of the junior elite girls team that were currently in first and had the lead motorbike next to them around the 3 lap course of the lake.  The bike was incredibly windy! Wowzers! My legs were going 10 to the dozen but I wasn't actually getting anywhere! A lap and a half in and I had caught the leader. I loved the glory of this as the commentator informed the crowds of the "new leader"! How exciting! We were winning!

My times were a little slower than last year but the swim was longer,
the wind was stronger, and I was still pleased with my race.
Claire, Emily & Eli also whizzed round the bike course (our splits were so similar - 23:43, 23:10, 23:38, 23:42 - it's all about the bike!!) and we started the run legs in second overall - behind an all male team. The run was just as windy and is a little bit soul destroying because it just seems like such a long way. But (dare I say it!) I enjoyed it, and enjoyed the cheerings from the crowds!  Great runs again from Claire, Emily and Eli - with Eli crossing the line in her mighty fine red welsh kit as the first ladies team home! Woop woop!

Battling the wind
Unfortunately we didn't get a Triathlon England medal as Eli and Emily are affiliated to Triathlon Wales, so a little technicality there. Discriminating against the Welsh is definitely not cool, especially as they don't have a Welsh Relays Championships to compete in? All was not lost though as I thought we would be presented with a One Step Beyond organisers medal for winning the Open Ladies Category (the open category is for those teams who are not all affiliated to Triathlon England....i.e. us!). But, from what I can gather, the open category does not differentiate from male teams and female teams, so although we were first female team over the line, we were beaten by 3 male teams and therefore classed as fourth. Seems a little unfair to me. I suppose the moral of the story is, if you are going to race in the open category, be a male!



But overall I had thoroughly enjoyed my day!  I had a fab time catching up with friends and we totally worked the Dry Robe! Medal or no medal, we were first ladies team across the line, so I'm pretty sure that makes us champions of something?  Thank you Race Timing Events for making me feel so welcome and well done to all!




1 comment: