Tuesday 29 May 2012

Preparations for Annecy 2012

I've received my instructions for the Lake Annecy Training Camp 2012.  I loved it last year, I had never done anything like it in my life and came back so much fitter and stronger than before.  If I'm ever going to step my distance up and be a half-iron athlete like I want to be, I'm going to have to get to grips with this sort of training.

"Pain is temporary.  It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place.  If I quit, however, it lasts forever."  Lance Armstrong



We're due to arrive in Annecy about 11.00 am. It will be a quick turnaround of sorting kit out and then down to the lake for a quick swim.  The daily timetable will cater for 2 groups.  Group 1 will be aiming to do 100 miles a day, group 2 around 60-70 miles per day.  Last year I started in Group 2 for the first 3 days.  On day 1 I was dead on my feet, I was literally draped over the handlebars of the bike and dreamt about getting off.  I vowed never to get back on a bike again....well at least until day 2.  Day 2 seemed a bit easier and by day 3 I had got into my rhythym so day 4 saw me step up to Group 1 with the big boys!!! I will never forget that day because I was so incredibly nervous, I didn't want to ruin anyone's ride and yet on the big climb of the day (Signal De Bisane) I was the third person up! I had chicked everyone bar Hywel (double Ironman champ) and Greg (ex-pro cyclist!).  A lucky day? Perhaps not because the same happened on another climb.  On the flats and descents I haven't got a hope in hell of keeping up, but there's something that little bit different about climbing.  I'm just hoping I can rekindle that sort of form this year now that the bar's been set!


Overtaking the first of many men!

Annecy training camp gives a great chance to practice race day techniques. Last year we practiced sighting, drafting, sprint start fighting and intervals at race pace. We swam for at least an hour a day and then headed back for breakfast. I found it hard eating enough after a 1000 calorie swim.  Days 1 and 2 I didn’t fuel up or hydrate enough.  I won’t be making that same mistake again!


Fuelling Up!

The climbs are what makes Annecy famous. Whilst we are there this year, we need to make the most of them. We can ride on flat roads anywhere in the world, but the epic climbs are there to be used. We've been told not to be surprised if some climbs are included just for the sake of it. The challenge is to complete the climbs at our own pace, not just get home as quickly as possible. When starting a climb last year I got so sunburnt, my skin was burnt to a crisp!!! But......by the time I got to the top of the climb hours later we were having snowball fights and I was freezing my ass off! I have never known anything like it!
At the top of Signal de Bisane


Dealing with long climbs
  • Be prepared for at least an hour of climing
  • Try to stay in the same gear but alternate position
  • Think that the steeper the climb, the faster you gain altitude
  • Look around and enjoy the sights
  • Climbing is all about finding a rhythm, so don’t try too hard too early
  • Keep drinking water, try to fill up at the base of the climb if you can
  • Nothing is too steep to climb,  you will make it
  • Try to base your climbing on 4, 5, 6 or 7 minute kilometers
  • Put a jacket on as soon as you reach the top and remember to rehyd rate
  • Enjoy them, that’s why we are there


The Classic Climbs

Col de La Forclaz - 8k - 1150m - Average Gradient 9% - Difficulty ****
Le Semnoz - 16km - 1700m - Average Gradient 8.5% - Difficulty *****
Signal De Bisane - 15km - 1938m - Average Gradient 9% - Difficulty *****
Col De La Croix Fry - 14km - 1477m - Average Gradient 8% - Difficulty ***
Col De La Colombiere - 11km - 1668m - Average Gradient 6% - Difficulty ***
Cormet de Roseland - 22km - 1986m - Average Gradient 7.8% - Difficulty *****
Col Des Aravis - 12km - 1455m - Average Gradient 8% - Difficulty ****
Col De Saisies - 15km - 1655m - Average Gradient 8.5% - Difficulty ****

With 5 days to go until we're off for the 2012 camp, to say I'm excited would be an understatement! The banter has already started with Hywel writing odds for everyone to be "King of the Mountains".  A surprise package last year, Sam has been applying sunblock through the winter in order to prevent a repeat of last year's debarcle. The Jewson Jewel will be tough to beat. Already proven this season that she can climb hills, its going to be interesting to see who can hold her off. I'm the only girl going this year, let's hope I can show the men how it's done! 


Last year's sun burn!!!




1 comment:

  1. awesome stuff Sam. Great to read your blog too. Hopefully you Will be on the podium before too long. i think i have a while to wait!

    ReplyDelete